Amazon Prime

Sunday 4 January 2015

Bread and Butter Pudding


I don't know if it's the cold weather or pregnancy cravings but last night I got a random urge to make bread and butter pudding. 

There are loads of different ways to make it but naturally I think my way is the best, so I informed my long suffering fella that I needed to pop out to the shop for double cream and white bread. He had just started to get settled thinking that he was in for the evening, but thankfully the lure of cosy old person puddings won out. 

If you were wondering why I didn't just take myself to the shop it's because according to my fella there are monsters that only come out after 4pm when it starts to go dark, and they specifically hunt women who resemble Humpty Dumpty. So once it hits twilight he dons his shining armour and chaperons me everywhere. I pretend to find this irritating but actually I find it really sweet. 

Anyway, I have digressed. In case any of you feel like a warming food hug after reading this and fancy making my version of bread and butter pudding below is how I do it. I apologise in advance that I'm not a very precise cook and take more of a slosh-of-this-approach.

Ingredients

Medium sliced white bread (I use one half-loaf)
Brown Sugar (Roughly 3oz)
Butter (Enough to grease a pan and butter the bread)
Cinnamon (I reckon about a teaspoon and a bit!)
Nutmeg ( A good few gratings worth)
Ground Cloves (Just a pinch)
Milk (400 ml) 
Double Cream (Between 100-150ml)
Raisins or Sultanas (About three handfuls)
Two eggs


Method

  • Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  • Grease your pudding receptacle with butter.
  • Take all of the crusts off the bread and butter it.
  • Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl.
  • Mix the milk, double cream and eggs in a bowl and lightly whisk together.
  • Layer your bread butter side up at the bottom of your bowl/dish as well as all around the sides. A dusting of your sugar mix goes fairly thickly on top next. Then a sprinkling of raisins.
  • Add another layer of bread, more sugar, raisins. Rinse and repeat until you get to the top layer. Just add the sugar mix to this one.
  • Pour your milk, cream and egg mixture over the whole thing and give it ten minutes to soak in. (If you reckon you need more moisture feel free to add a glug of milk or cream before popping it into the oven)
  • Place in the oven for roughly twenty minutes until it's all puffed up and golden brown on top.



This would serve four people. Or two decent sized portions each for a pregnant lady and her companion eater. I did mean to take a picture of it all lovely and golden when it came out the oven, but I got excited and the only thought in my head was 'eat it, eat it!'

Hence the above picture of my half eaten first portion. Serving suggestion is under a sofa blanket while on a Walking Dead marathon, but that's just me. My other half has his sans blanket and with cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment